Friday, August 27, 2010

Kata ~ Little achievements mean the most

Kyokushin Karate Kata

Got a text message the other day. Shihan reminding me what time kata class was. I wasn't planning on going. As a matter of fact I was just going to start dinner. Aww the heck with it. It is just kata, I can handle it, so long as I am not kicking anything. I can turn on my heel rather than the ball of my foot. I can handle it. Yeah, I know I have at LEAST two weeks before I should put weight on the broken bone, but I have to do something.

I was missed. Feels nice to be missed. We started with Kihon (basic drills). When it came to kicking, it bothers my foot at the end of the snap, but not the pivot. So I adjusted and didn't put the snap at the end of my kicks like I normally would have.



The person doing kihon went to let Shihan know that we were done with kihon, 'should we do fitness?'. 'No', he says. I am thinking thank goodness. I have never been very good at pushups and I dread them. We have to do them on our knuckles, on the wood. It hurts. It hurts so much, from my knuckles, my wrists and even up into my forearm.

Shihan come in and we all line up. Shihan went over fitness requirements for each belt level. As someone going up to yellow, I have 30 push ups, 40 sit ups and 50 squats. Now lets do fitness. UGH!

So for the pushups, it is explained that it is to be done non-stop. If your number is 30 and you rest at 25, then 25 is the number you have. I am thinking I am going to have to stop at 10. The most I have ever done on my knuckles is 18, but I have not done any exercise in 2 months. One additional problem...broken toe, so I have to do them on one foot.

Guess what!! I did all 30, on my knuckles! Little achievements mean the most.

I mostly remembered my katas, but like always, I just faked it when I got stuck. Forgot the Japanese name for a cat stance and did a zenkusudachi (front leaning stance) instead. Had to skip the katas in ura (spinning), shihan said I should skip them for a while, that he knows that I know them.

Lesson done and the foot was somewhat sore, but not unbearable. All in all a good night.

Tomorrow is field training and Friday is the dojo adult movie night. Enter the Dragon and liqueur, should be fun!