Monday, July 11, 2011

Kokutsu Dachi (Back Stance)

Last night was Sensei's class in Bethel. We did things a bit different. We didn't do kihon, but went straight to a technique.

We practiced the applications of Kokutso Dachi. It is also called the back stance and even "the akward stance". Often,it is described as the oppisite of zenkutsu dachi, forward stance. Kokutsu dachi is a very good defenseive stance. Usually it is paired up with shuto uke (knife hand block).


What is it good for? A punch or zuki, either body or face. It basically works only against someone who knows how to fight. People who do not know how to fight, waste energy and power by leaning forward. In that case, you might get hit anyway, but the power isn't there. Once in the position, when a punch comes, with very little effort, you bend your back leg some more. That very small movement will give you an extra 8 inches of space between you and your opponent. (video below with all the basic stances)

How I did:

Personally I have a hard time with techniques. I am a bruiser and I know it. So when we started, Sensei kept grabbing my hips, forcing them to stay straight. When ever a punch would come, I would rotate my body and move away from the punch. I thought I would never get it. Sensei moved on and we switched stance, right leg forward. Strangely, my dumb side was a lot better at it, but I still think I was twisting.

We switched partners and stances once again. This time instead of just a jab, it was 2 jabs. The first one hits you and you dodge the second, just by bending the back leg a little more. I felt like I was just starting to get it. Sensei walked over and watched, then I really messed up. I very much hate being watched.

"Don't watch me! I mess up even more when you just stand there." I said.

Sensei says, "Ever think I might be watching you becasue you are doing it right?".

"Yeah right", I think.

So she makes everyone stop. Directing our attention to the black belt (Sempai S) and J on the other side of the room, she has them demonstrate. Then she directs the attention to me and my partner D. She then tells us what J was doing, leaning his upper body back and wasting energy and getting off balance. She has me do it again. "See how much little energy it takes for Patty to move and see how much space she makes?"

Seems like I am always getting called out for what I was doing wrong, and it is nice that I did it right. Still feel uncomfortable about being called out at all.

This is a video presenting the basic stances one after another.