Monday, November 15, 2010

A Visit from Reliv - Fat Analysis

Fat Analysis
Last week, Wednesday. after kata class and during the beginning of full contact, Shihan had some people from the Reliv company come and do body fat measurements. I went first so I could get back to training. I stood on a scale with a metal plate and held these handles that came up from the scale. They input my age and height and the machine spit out a bunch of numbers. 

Funny thing, when I told the lady my age, Jared says, "you are not 39, Patty. cut it out!" I looked at him and could tell he really thought I was messing around. So I didn't say anything, and neither did anyone else, but I did smile.
After we did bag work and every one else had their chance to get weighed, we gathered around the three salespeople. They explained the paperwork a bit and then handed out our worksheets with our numbers. I did not do as well as I thought I would. 

First the good stuff, because I like the good stuff. My total percentage of body water was %49, which is really good seeing how I just finished two hours of working out. My BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 1632 calories, which is just the number of calories I need to live. If i did watch my caloric intake, that is a pretty good amount of food. A lot of 'diets' have ladies eating 1200 calories or less. My Bone mass is about average and I have a muscle weight of 113 pounds.  My overall body fat percentage wasn't as horrible as I thought it was. It is 34.4%, which is only four tenths above normal.

Now for the bad. My physique rating was a '3', which meant 'solidly built', high body fat and high muscle mass. I hate the 'high' body fat thing. I also ballooned up to 182 and I have a metabolic age of 48. I don't want to be 48. 

I don't want to be ruled by a number, any number. I don't want to count calories. I don't want to weigh myself everyday. Even new clothes sizes can't tell you a whole story because every company's clothes runs bit different. However not seeing any numbers doesn't make my pants fit any better. 

I think the emotional rollorcoaster I have been on is not helpful to my waistline. From the huge highs of winning the world's, to the lows of saying goodbye again to my husband, I am a wreck. (The husband got to come home for a few days before his unit goes overseas.) Plus all the things that go into becoming a single parent for the next year.

Tomorrow I will double the efforts in eating right. Healthy foods, chewing slowly, and as soon as I think I might be full, I stop. If I am still hungry after a while, I will eat, but only if i am truly hungry. I also have to be consistant with the morning workouts. not to lose weight, but to be a better fighter.