Nothing is better for bringing up the heart hate than a jump rope. Skipping rope for 15 minutes burns about the same calories as a 10-minute mile but a lot less impact on your knees. Besides being a great fat-burner, jumping rope tones your upper and lower body muscles at the same time. It increases your endurance, stamina, and the light impact will even increase your bone density.
A jump rope can be the cheapest item you add to your home gym. When I was a kid and in need of a rope, I would grab any rope I could find and usually could find one in the back of my dad's work truck. Evidence has shown that people of Egypt skipped vines in 1600 B.C. Today in stores you can find all kinds of jump ropes, from as low as $2 up $25.
Try this workout with music with a good beat. Higher beats per minute, will result in a better workout, but work up to techno :
- 60 Seconds Double Jump (jumping both feet at the same time); 30 Seconds rest
- 60 Seconds High Knees; 30 Seconds rest
- 60 Seconds Running in Place; 30 seconds rest
- 60 Seconds Double Unders (spin the rope twice for every jump) 30 second rest
- 60 Seconds Side to Sides (alternate your landing zone right to left) 30 Second rest
- Repeat sequence one more time